What Can You Do When Your Locks Freeze in the Frozen Temperatures?
One of the most common complaints about locks during the winter months is that they froze, and you can’t get them open. A commercial locksmith knows how to deal with frozen locks and can help you so that you don’t get locked out when the weather is less than ideal.
Frozen locks may seem like a big deal at first glance, but the truth is there are a few things you can do to get in despite the temperatures.
Have a look at a few things you can do yourself before calling on a commercial locksmith.
- Try heating the key. If you have matches or a lighter, you can use that to heat the key so that it is very hot and will melt any ice inside the lock when you go to unlock it. However, you need to be careful. A hot key can burn you easily. Furthermore, a hot key can bend easily, so be forceful, but gentle too.
- Sanitizer is another tool you can use if you don’t want to or can’t heat the key. Sanitizer contains alcohol, which is great at melting ice. If you put sanitizer on your key to melt the ice inside the lock, make sure you only use the gel kind of sanitizer, not lotion.
- Lastly, there is one other option that won’t help you immediately but will help you down the road should you encounter a frozen lock again. Purchasing a Lock De-Icer is excellent. You won’t have to spend a ton of money, but you will definitely save a lot of headaches and stress. A commercial locksmith will tell you that having a de-icer on hand during the frigid months of winter is always a good idea.
Knowing how to unfreeze a lock is always a good idea when you live in areas where the climate gets extremely cold. However, if you have a complex or very expensive lock, it is a good idea to get the opinion of a commercial locksmith to help you avoid irreparable damage.
Don’t Get Stuck in the Cold
If you are constantly having to deal with frozen locks and are tired of having to find solutions to get you in a building or your car, contact a commercial locksmith. We are happy to help you find the solution you need to get you in and out of the cold quickly.
- An Emergency Locksmith Will be Your Hero in These 3 Situations
- Why Does Your Business Need a Commercial Locksmith on Speed Dial?
- What Does it Take to Become a Residential Locksmith?
- You Probably Haven’t Thought About It, But You’ll Likely Need an Emergency Locksmith at Some Point
- Common Door Lock Issues that a Residential Locksmith Can Help You With
- Common Commercial Door Issues You May Need a Locksmith For
- Can an Emergency Locksmith Make a Key from an Existing Lock?
- Ask Your Commercial Locksmith: Am I Using the Right Locks for my Business?
- A Residential Locksmith’s Tips for Preventing Break-Ins Before They Happen
- Why You Should Have an Emergency Locksmith on Call