How to Maintain your Doors and Locks
The doors and locks in your home get a lot of wear and tear. You probably don’t think about maintenance for your door hardware, but for long life and continuing function, it’s important to regularly clean and service them. There are several things you can do yourself to keep your doors and locks working well.
Clean the Locks
Door will accumulate dust, dirt, and grime. If you fail to clean your locks, they will become hard to use and may break. Thankfully, door locks are easy to clean. No fancy cleaners needed, just use a soft cloth and soapy water. Wipe down the knob and faceplate on a regular basis to keep it clean and free of surface dirt. For the lock itself, use a silicone lubricant in the latch and keyhole. After spraying, move the key in and out to work the lubricant around. Avoid using graphite to clean locks; it clogs them up like wet sand or flour.
Check the Lock Parts
Check your locks for any loose or missing pieces. If there are screws loose, the lock won’t function properly. Tighten anything that is loose.
Don’t Forget the Door
Like your locks, your doors can accumulate dirt and grime. Doors are investments that need maintenance as well. Clean them regularly with soapy water to keep them looking good. To avoid squeaks and jams, oil the hinges on a regular basis. If your door isn't shutting completely or latching properly, adjust so that it does. Setting up the right swing on your door will prevent it from slamming, which damages the door hardware and lock.
Use a Locksmith for the Big Jobs
Proper care of your doors and locks helps them to perform better and prevents you from having to pay for costly repairs. You can take care of day-to-day maintenance on your door hardware, but for the big jobs, call a professional locksmith. Locks that get a lot of use need to be thoroughly cleaned and dismantled by a lock expert. Your lock-smith will lubricate, replace worn parts, reassemble, and re-install them for you. If you find that your lock is jamming often, it’s time to replace it. Call All-Lock-Rescue in Edmonton for service to your locks.
- Why You Should Have a Residential Locksmith Install a Safe in Your Home
- Reasons to Get a Car Key Replacement
- Locksmith to the Rescue! When Can You Use an Emergency Locksmith
- Your Business Needs to Be Secured! The Top Reasons to Consult a Commercial Locksmith
- Need Some More Security in Your Life? Here’s What a Residential Locksmith Can Do for You
- Locked Out of Your Car, Home, or Business? Here’s How an Emergency Locksmith Can Help
- Upgrade Your Home Security with a Residential Locksmith
- How to Get Car Key Replacement When You’ve Lost Your Keys
- 3 Reasons You Should Know an Emergency Locksmith This Winter
- New Year, New Locks – Is It Time For a Change