The 5 Big Things You Need to Know to Keep Your Home’s Doors Secure
You work hard to have a nice home outfitted with belongings you love and care a lot about. Setting up a home isn't cheap and some of your valuables might be irreplaceable. The last thing you would want is for someone to break into your home and steal or destroy any of your things. With these five things you need to know from our residential locksmiths, you'll have everything you need to know to keep the doors on your Edmonton home safe and secure.
#1. Exterior Doors Need to be Solid
To keep potential thieves and vandals out of your home, you need solid wood or solid-core doors that are kick-proof. Steel doors are also very popular but should have a block in place and interior reinforcement so it cannot be pried or bent open.
#2. Avoid Windows in Your Exterior Doors
As your residential locksmith, we know that you want your Edmonton home to feel open and inviting to guests, but windows in your exterior doors that allow a burglar to break in are also inviting disaster. It's not difficult for someone to smash the glass and reach inside to unlock the door.
#3. Deadbolts Provide Extra Strength
If you don't have a deadbolt in your doors, you need to have one installed sooner rather than later. Since the tongue of the deadbolt extends beyond the frame of your door, this prevents being able to kick a weaker type of lock open or prying it open by using a tool inside the frame.
#4. Consider a One-Sided Deadbolt
As a secondary lock to protect against a home invasion, it's a good idea to install a one-sided deadbolt. These locks don't have outside key access, it makes it nearly impossible for intruders to enter your home.
#5. Secure Your Patio Doors
Patio doors are a great decorative addition to your home but they are also an invitation for home invaders to break in. Make sure to buy only reinforced glass or specialty plastic doors rather than plain glass doors. Invest in locking bars so the doors cannot be easily pried open.
If you keep these five things in mind when it comes to securing your home's exterior doors, you will ensure that your home isn't an easy target for intruders. At All-Lock Rescue we have knowledgeable and experienced residential locksmiths that specialize in helping you keep your Edmonton home secure and making it as safe as possible. Contact us to learn more about the difference the right residential door locks can make.
- Signs You Need to Replace the Locks on Your Home
- The Process of Replacing Your Car Keys
- When Your Stuck in the Cold an Emergency Locksmith is Here to Help
- What Can You Do When Your Locks Freeze in the Frozen Temperatures?
- How a Residential Locksmith can Help Deter the Grinch this Holiday Season
- Why You Should Have an Emergency Locksmith on Speed Dial
- Why You Should Have a Residential Locksmith Install a Safe in Your Home
- Reasons to Get a Car Key Replacement
- Locksmith to the Rescue! When Can You Use an Emergency Locksmith
- Your Business Needs to Be Secured! The Top Reasons to Consult a Commercial Locksmith