A Safe Home is a Happy Home: Common Home Security Mistakes
Your home is the one space in this world where you should feel safest and most comfortable. It only takes one break-in however, to turn your safe haven into a place that feels anything but. When you are an Edmonton locksmith, you deal with many people who have had their homes broken into and there are some common things that seem to encourage thieves to break and enter. The following are four of the most common mistakes made in home security measures.
Unlocked Doors or Simple Mechanisms
It may seem ridiculous to even state this mistake but it happens more than you would think. People get too comfortable, especially if there are neighbours close by or when they live out in the country. The fact is, an unlocked door is an open invitation for any thief to enter your home.
Outdated locking mechanisms that are very simple are as bad as leaving your doors unlocked. It doesn't take a practiced thief long to pick a basic lock so care should be taken to ensure you have quality locks on all entrances. If you are in doubt, your Edmonton locksmith can provide you with information and new lock sets for your home.
Making Absences Obvious
Social media sites and smartphone check-ins are a boon for would-be thieves. Not only does the Internet make it easy to find your home, making posts about trips on social media or using check-in features to announce where you are in the world lets the bad guys know your home is empty. Similarly, leaving mail or newspapers accumulating, or notes on your door for delivery instructions will also show that your home is ripe for being robbed.
Fake Warning Stickers or Equipment
While it may seem an affordable alternative to property security equipment, fake stickers, lawn signs and dummy cameras are easily recognizable by most would-be thieves and will not protect your home. Home security systems have become far more affordable since there are so many options and most insurance companies will give you a discount on your property insurance if you have a monitored system. If you have valuables in your home, the investment into home security is relatively minor.
Failure to Maintain Home Security Systems
It is very easy to fall into the "set it and forget it" mentality when it comes to home security systems. Since there really isn't anything to be done with them until a problem arises, a problem may go undetected and a burglar may be able to take advantage. It is wise to schedule a regular maintenance check to ensure all aspects of your home security are in proper working order. While you're at it, test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for added peace of mind.
As your Edmonton locksmith, All-Lock-Rescue wants you to feel safe and secure in your home. Contact us to learn more about keeping intruders out of your home.
- Locksmith to the Rescue! When Can You Use an Emergency Locksmith
- Your Business Needs to Be Secured! The Top Reasons to Consult a Commercial Locksmith
- Need Some More Security in Your Life? Here’s What a Residential Locksmith Can Do for You
- Locked Out of Your Car, Home, or Business? Here’s How an Emergency Locksmith Can Help
- Upgrade Your Home Security with a Residential Locksmith
- How to Get Car Key Replacement When You’ve Lost Your Keys
- 3 Reasons You Should Know an Emergency Locksmith This Winter
- New Year, New Locks – Is It Time For a Change
- Is the Cold Weather Giving You Grief? It Might Be Time to Call a Residential Locksmith
- What to Do When Winter Locks You Out: How a Commercial Locksmith Can Help You Avoid Frozen Locks