Changing the Locks in Your New Home
Buying a home is one of the most exciting things a person does in his or her life. Whether it’s the first home or the fifth, it’s exhilarating.
Discovering each room, deciding where how to set up the furniture, and exploring the new neighborhood will bring out your inner child and get your creative juices flowing.
But there are also the practical things to take care of. Quite a few things need to get checked off the list before you can start settling in: Turning on utilities, setting up the cable, changing the mail (to your new Edmonton address, perhaps) getting the kids enrolled in new schools, and changing your license quickly come to mind, but do you think about the locks on your home?
If not, you need to add them to top of your list for your home security and peace of mind.
Why Change the Locks?
Let’s be honest, even though you’re buying someone’s house, you probably don’t know much about them. They may have given keys to their kids, their kids’ friends, the babysitter, the dog-walker, their parents and grandparents, the house sitter, and the cleaning lady! The real estate agent may have made several copies as well.
Rekeying vs. Changing the Lock
You can either change the locks or have them rekeyed. If the lock itself is good quality and in good shape, it’s cheaper to rekey the lock.
This involves having a qualified locksmith come to your home to change the tumblers of your lock cylinder to tumblers of different sizes. This way the old keys no longer work.
If you find that the current lock is old or you would prefer a different type of lock, then a full lock replacement is the best option. Your local Edmonton locksmith can help with that too.
Add a Locksmith to Your To-Do List
Schedule a locksmith to perform a thorough inspection of all entry points to your home. All entry points means your front and garage doors, sliding glass doors, windows, sheds, and walk-out basement entries. Your locksmith will ensure that everything is secure and in working order.
Your home security is very important! It will help you sleep at night knowing that your home is locked up safely.
Your Edmonton Locksmith
Once you’ve had a locksmith in to change your locks, keep the number handy. You never know when you’ll get locked out or need an extra set of house, car, or office keys.
If you’re in the Edmonton area call All-Lock-Rescue 780-447-5625 for your lock needs.
- Locksmith to the Rescue! When Can You Use an Emergency Locksmith
- Your Business Needs to Be Secured! The Top Reasons to Consult a Commercial Locksmith
- Need Some More Security in Your Life? Here’s What a Residential Locksmith Can Do for You
- Locked Out of Your Car, Home, or Business? Here’s How an Emergency Locksmith Can Help
- Upgrade Your Home Security with a Residential Locksmith
- How to Get Car Key Replacement When You’ve Lost Your Keys
- 3 Reasons You Should Know an Emergency Locksmith This Winter
- New Year, New Locks – Is It Time For a Change
- Is the Cold Weather Giving You Grief? It Might Be Time to Call a Residential Locksmith
- What to Do When Winter Locks You Out: How a Commercial Locksmith Can Help You Avoid Frozen Locks