Automotive Transponder Keys
When I was younger I thought that by the year 2000 all cars would fly and they would be more like spaceships. Well, here we are in 2015 and cars don’t fly but their features and technology are surely something I never would have dreamed of when I was young. As the technology changes with cars so do the keys we use to start them. A regular key used to be all it took to start a car that’s not really the norm anymore. Transponder keys were introduced as a security measure to help prevent car theft.
What is a Transponder Key?
A transponder key was produced by auto manufacturers and is designed to only start the ignition of a car if the key has been programmed to the car. How do they work? They are also known as chip keys and function by radio transmission between the key and the automobile. Each transponder works through a microchip that is inserted into the head of the key. This chip is programmed with a specific serial number that is unique to a specific vehicle. When the key is inserted into the ignition, a signal is sent to the electrical system of the car. If the signal matches that of the car and it is validated, then the engine will start. If they do not match then the car can’t be started.
Replacing Transponder Keys
A transponder key is a great thing to have but it can be costly if it is lost. It is the only way to start your car. It’s always a good idea to have a spare on-hand in case your key is lost, misplaced or damaged. Replacement keys can be attained through the car dealer or through an auto locksmith. It’s not always convenient to go to the car dealership to get a replacement key and it’s costly and timely. A qualified auto locksmith in Edmonton, like All-Lock-Rescue can quickly and easily come to your location and program a new transponder key for less than the cost of a dealer. This saves you time and money.
If you have lost, misplaced or damaged your transponder key or just want a spare, call All-Lock-Rescue in Edmonton or request a quote.
- Common Door Lock Issues Your Residential Locksmith Can Help You With
- Why Your Business Needs a Commercial Locksmith
- 4 Common Car Scenarios for Emergency Locksmiths
- What to Do When You are Locked Out of Your Business
- Should You Have Your Residential Locksmith Re-Key Your Locks or Replace Them?
- What NOT to Do While Waiting for an Emergency Locksmith to Rescue You
- 5 Reasons to Call a Residential Locksmith
- How Your Commercial Locksmith Impacts Your Business’ Bottom Line
- How Does an Emergency Locksmith Save the Day?
- Be Secure in Your Choice of a Commercial Locksmith with these Questions